How to Drive on a Tolled Road in Australia
Figure out how frequently you will use a toll road.All toll roads in Australia collect tolls electronically. There are no longer any cash booths on any Australian toll road, meaning you usually need to make payment arrangements prior to travelling on a toll road.
Find out what sort of accounts the toll road you intend to travel most on offers.Most toll operators provide two account types, electronic tag/pass/eTag, and video tolling/number plate recognition. You can also purchase a pass. Getting an account is usually more economic if you intend to use toll roads more than 12 times a year.
Grab your tag/pass, and (if applicable) install it onto your windscreen.Fund the account (usually with a credit card or BPAY).
Paying a toll using a video account or tag
If using a tag, make sure your tag is correctly mounted on the windscreen.Most tags for passenger cars mount on the top of the windscreen horizontally. Tags on trucks or buses should usually be mounted at the bottom of the windscreen, sometimes vertically. Use the holder provided to hold the tag. Extra holders are generally provided for free so you can use the tag in any other cars you may own.
Drive through under the toll gantry (all lanes).Avoid lane changes. You do not need to slow down.
Listen for a beep (if using a tag).One beep normally means all is well. Check your manual for other beep sounds.
Using a pass
Purchase the correct pass.Passes can be purchased online, or usually at service stations.
Drive through under the toll gantry (all lanes).The video camera will take a photo of your number plate as you drive past, and match it with a database of vehicles assigned to passes.
You do not need to do anything more.You will not receive an invoice, or any confirmation letter.
I forgot to buy a pass, and I don't have a tag
If you drove through an electronic lane, and you didn't have a tag, a video tolling account or a pass, relax.
Call the toll operator.Most toll roads have the toll road operator's phone number on the side of the road. It is imperative you ring them within 48 hours to avoid a fine notice.
Purchase a pass.Some toll roads will allow you to purchase a pass up to 48 to 72 hours after travelling. Purchasing a pass will ensure you do not receive a fine.
Pay the invoice.If you do not purchase a pass or arrange payment with the toll road operator, you will receive an invoice in the mail, which will be the amount of the toll, and a processing fee. If you do not pay this initial invoice, the matter is usually referred to the police / relevant state authority, where costs will escalate and criminal charges may be pursued.
QuestionHow do zi pay for a toll in Brisbane if I'm flying out of the country for 12 days?PattiCommunity AnswerThey will just charge you for the full toll. Usually you pay the toll from where you got on to where you get off. But in that instance, they will charge you for the whole length of the entire toll road.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- All electronic tags, regardless of which toll road operator issued it are compatible for use on other toll roads within Australia. For example, if you have a "Breeze" tag issued by ConnectEast, the operators of EastLink in Melbourne, you can use this same tag to travel on the WestLink M7 in Sydney, or any other toll road in Australia.
- Make sure, if you are using a video account or a tag, that you keep your account loaded with sufficient funds (if you have not authorised automatic debiting from your credit card or bank account). Tag providers provide many options to load funds. Note that some, such as BPAY may take time to process.
- Most tags will make one beep sound if your toll has been deducted successfully. Consult your tag's manual if you hear more than one beep. Multiple beeps may mean that your toll payment was not processed and that you may need to contact the toll road operator.
- Most tags have a vehicle classification printed. Do not use a car tag in a truck or vice versa.
- In the past, people have tried to sell number plate covers with horizontal stripes, claiming they are legal, whilst deterring toll camera detection. Note that these products have been independently tested to fail to deter toll detection, and are a waste of your money.
- Always ensure you have a pass, tag or account, or you purchase a pass immediately after you travel if you do not have any of the former. If you drive on a toll road without paying the toll, the camera will take a photo of your number plate, and you will receive either an infringement notice, or an invoice with an extra "database-matching" fee.
- Don't slow down unexpectedly at an electronic toll gantry. You do not need to slow down, and slowing down unexpectedly may cause confusion to other drivers, and be a potential hazard.
- Do not speed or travel faster than necessary when approaching a toll plaza.
Video: Citylink, Melbourne, Victoria
How to Take Care of Your Own Car
5 innovative health treatments you can get in the UK
9. I could actually follow the plots of the TV shows I watched
Congratulations are in order for Penn Badgley and Domino Kirke
Survival Guide for Todays Cancer Caregiver
A Guide To Planning Your Wedding And Staying On Track
How to Stay up All Night for Kids
Study Suggests Mental Fog of Menopause Is Real
Khloe Kardashian Cut This Food and Lost 11 Pounds
In August 2019, America Will See Its First Total Solar Eclipse Since 1979
Doctor’s Notes: Using Personalized Medicine to Treat IBD
Snap stock: Earnings set to plunge to a record low
Top 15 Designer Jewelry Brands In The World
Date: 01.12.2018, 14:31 / Views: 85451