How to Get an Appointment at Mayo Clinic
Each year, more than 1 million patients from the United States and 150 other countries visit the Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research and practice group with major campuses in three major U.S. metropolitan areas (Rochester, Minnesota; Jacksonville, Florida; and Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona) and smaller clinics with various specialties located in numerous locations in four U.S. states (Iowa, Georgia, Wisconsin, and Minnesota). Because of its reputation as a world-class medical institute and the fact that patients often do not need referrals in order to see doctors, it can be difficult to get an appointment at Mayo Clinic; in many cases, you must be prepared to wait for a few months.
Getting an Appointment
Schedule an appointment online.Visit and click on "Request an Appointment" at the right of the page. You will then be transferred to a page where you can make an online request to see a physician.
- If you are an international patient trying to request an appointment online, you will first need to select your language from the list under the "Request an Appointment" button, and follow the instructions on the subsequent page(s).
- Don't make an official appointment request until you have spoken with your insurance provider and primary care physician.
Select a medical campus.The three main patient treatment centers are located in: Rochester, Minnesota; Jacksonville, Florida; and Scottsdale, Arizona. Be aware that the best location for you might not necessarily be the one that is geographically closest to you, as some locations may lack certain specialties.
- The Rochester, Minnesota campus is the flagship Mayo Clinic institution, offering the widest variety of services from the largest number of physicians.
- Due to the typically cold, harsh winter weather conditions, the Rochester, Minnesota campus is less likely to be busy than the other two during the winter season; this may mean a shorter waiting period.
Provide required patient information.After selecting your Mayo Clinic location online, you will be asked to provide information about the prospective patient (whether this be you or a friend or family member).Be sure to provide as much information as possible when filling out this form; this will expedite the appointment scheduling process.
- You will need to have relevant information readily available when completing the patient information form. This includes birth date, address, insurance information, and details regarding the patient's medical condition.
- Supporting information about tests, x-rays or other diagnostics is also requested.
- Once you have finished the form, click "Send Request" at the bottom of the page.
- A Mayo Clinic representative will contact you (usually within a few business days) to review additional financial and medical information before you're offered an appointment.
Call the Mayo Clinic.This is an alternative to scheduling an appointment online. If you choose to do this, you will need to call the specific facility you wish to visit, as there is no central scheduling location.The appropriate phone numbers for the location of your choice can be found online.
- When you call, be sure to have all relevant patient information ready, which includes the information listed for the online scheduling procedure.
- You are no more or less likely to get an appointment by calling versus scheduling online, and the waiting period is the same.
Be prepared to wait.Mayo Clinic waiting times can be as long as a few months, but will depend upon the severity of your condition and how busy your location of choice happens to be.In the meantime, continue to see your primary care physician and contact Mayo Clinic to inform them of any significant changes in your condition.
- You may be able to see a doctor more quickly if you are a "walk-in" patient; these waiting times can still take a week or more (depending on how many people cancel and the severity of your illness).
- Don't wait to receive medical attention if you are seriously ill. If your condition worsens while you are waiting, see your doctor and request a referral to Mayo if you haven't already been given one. This could "fast-track" your appointment.
Bring your pertinent information with you.Once your appointment date arrives, make sure you have your documented medical history and other pertinent information with you when you see the doctor. Mayo Clinic doctors will review your medical history as part the diagnosis and treatment planning process
- Previous X-rays, test results, and all other relevant information should also be included with your records.
Following Preliminary Procedures
See your primary care physician.Before you attempt to schedule an appointment with Mayo Clinic, you should speak to your doctor and ask whether specialized care is needed for your condition. Mayo Clinic physicians are highly regarded as some of the best in the world, but are typically specialists in various fields of medicine. Your condition may be better handled by a general practitioner.
- Ask first whether you think you may need to see a specialist for your condition. If your doctor says 'yes,' then you can ask her whether Mayo Clinic might be a good choice for you. Alternatively, you can do your own research to figure this out.
Visit the Mayo Clinic website.This is the best way to get all the information you need before making your appointment. You can also do the actual appointment scheduling online, though this is not your only option. The Mayo Clinic website can be found at .
- If specialty services are more important to your needs than facility location, you find out which specialties are handled at which facilities by visiting the Mayo Clinic website.
Assess your medical need.Mayo Clinic appointment scheduling is determined in part on the basis of need, with more severe medical conditions taking priority. If your condition is not serious, is general in nature, or can easily be handled by physicians at another facility, you may have to wait quite a while to be seen.
- Your primary care doctor is probably in a better position than you to make this assessment; it is always best to consult a doctor before making serious decisions about your healthcare.
- Consider whether your condition warrants traveling to a Mayo Clinic facility for treatment. This can be time consuming and potentially expensive, so you should take this matter seriously.
Determine whether you need a referral.Due to Mayo Clinic's extreme popularity and the high quality of medical care they offer, their facilities and doctors are in high demand. In some cases, another physician's referral is required in order to get an appointment. The Mayo Clinic asks that you contact them to ask whether you will need a referral.
- Though most patients are able to schedule their appointments themselves, some insurance companies require that you receive a physician's referral before they will agree to cover your treatment at Mayo Clinic. Contact your insurance company to find out their policy.
- Even if your insurance company does not require that you receive a referral, some specialty areas within May Clinic might. This is why it is important to contact Mayo Clinic before scheduling an appointment.
QuestionAfter calling the neurology department in Minnesota's Mayo Clinic, and giving all my information, how long will it be for them to get back to me with an appointment?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThey should get back to you within a week. If not, call them back.Thanks!
QuestionDoes Mayo take Medicare and Tricare?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, Mayo clinic accepts both.Thanks!
QuestionCan I schedule a video appointment with a physician at the Mayo clinic?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, but they do have a way that you can call them on the phone or you can also set up an appointment online.Thanks!
QuestionMy husband has renal cell carcinoma. How do we make an appointment at the Mayo Clinic?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGet your doctor to refer you.Thanks!
QuestionWhere should my physician send a referral to?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt depends on the best clinics that are the closest to you, or doctors in your location that you know/ are covered by your insurance.Thanks!
QuestionWhich Mayo Clinic facility treats staph infections?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe clinic for infectious disease, or, if the infection is mild, the dermatology team.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I find a doctor for cutaneous oncology cancer?Top AnswererMost dermatologists are able to treat cutaneous cancers. You can locate a dermatologist in your area by consulting your insurance company's provider directory. Most insurance companies have an online directory which you can access.Thanks!
QuestionWhat kind of doctor(s) would my husband see with orthostatic hypotension combined with hypertension?Stephen JuristCommunity AnswerFamily physicians and internists treat most patients with high blood pressure. They are highly skilled in identifying and treating it. Referral to a hypertension clinic is only necessary for a very small minority of patients who have persistent and severe elevations in blood pressure despite treatment with multiple blood pressure medications.Thanks!
QuestionWho is not eligible for cardiac ablation?Midnight_HeiressCommunity AnswerCardiac ablation is a relatively rare procedure and is not a preferred option of treatment. At the Mayo Clinic, you must have a diagnosis of an arrhythmia. You must also have a very high-risk condition, a history of prior medications typically used to treat your condition failing (or causing drastic side effects), or a rare type of arrhythmia that responds well to cardiac ablation.Thanks!
QuestionDoes the Mayo Clinic treat thyroid cancer?Midnight_HeiressCommunity AnswerYes. The Mayo Clinic is highly qualified in procedures such as thyroidectomies, which are procedures that remove most (if not all) of the thyroid as a treatment of thyroid cancer.Thanks!
Does the Mayo Clinic accept walk-in appointments?
What do I do if 3 doctors have told me they would recommend me to go to the Mayo Clinic but they don't know which doctors to recommend me to see?
How do I schedule appropriate appointments for a condition that requires evaluation in more than one speciality?
I have ASH, would I get admitted to a Mayo Hospital location?
How long does it take to see a doctor when at the Mayo Clinic?
If you want an appointment at the Mayo Clinic, visit www.MayoClinic.org and click on "Request an appointment" on the right of the page. Then, select whether you want to visit the Mayo campus in Minnesota, Arizona, or Florida. Once you've confirmed the location, you'll need to provide some patient information, including your name and date of birth, insurance details, and medical condition. When you've finished the form, click "Send request" and wait for a Mayo Clinic representative to contact you.
- Mayo Clinic does accept walk-ins on occasion, so if you're desperate for an appointment and are relatively near to one of the medical campuses, this option may be worth a try.
- International patients can schedule appointments by phone or online. Patient details provided online must match those printed on his or her passport, with all information provided in English.
- Do not exaggerate or invent symptoms or conditions in order to expedite treatment. This is unethical and will displace individuals with serious conditions and who need care more urgently than you do. Additionally, your physician will find out that you were dishonest when she sees you.
- Going through the scheduling and waiting processes does not guarantee you an appointment.
Video: Neurology - Mayo Clinic Patient Video Guide - Minnesota
This Online Store Secretly Stocks the Best Range of Unique Sneakers
How to Set Up a PayPal Account
De grootste sneakertrends die ie-de-reen gaat dragen deze zomer
A Weight Training Program for Golfers
Why Are Complex Carbs an Important Part of Your Diet
How to Get the Most Out of Your Pickup Truck Bed
Donate Blood Now on the Go
How to Have an Old Fashioned Halloween
Prime Day protests around Amazons selling of racist-messaged products
Sports Nutrition Chart – What To Include In Your Diet
Whistles Menswear AW14 Campaign
Cranberry Juice for UTIs