How to Obtain a US Student Visa (for Indian Students)
This is an article written for the benefit of the International students aspiring to study in United States, generally for the Asian students and more specifically for students from India. As per the statement of the official spokesman of embassy of United States in India, there are more than 100,000 Indian students currently studying in United States. Schools and Universities in the United States admit students twice in a year, during fall and spring. Most students apply for fall admissions. The United States has an open policy of welcoming international students from all countries.
Start planning for your admission at least 12 months in advance.
- Get your passport ready. You must possess a valid Indian Passport at least one year before your planned travel.
- You must have the prerequisite educational qualification. If you are applying for a MS course, you must have a requisite degree from a University Grant Commission affiliated, recognized, or listed University in India, with the required qualifying grades.
- You must pass the GRE test. Most universities in the USA insist on GRE scores for admission to graduate programs.
- You must take the TOEFL test and have the grades ready with you.
- You or your parents must be financially strong to bear the costs towards your education, your stay and your other expenses. Depending on the School or University, the cost could be between Rs. 40 to 50 Lacks for two years of graduate school studies.
- You need to show an amount equivalent to one year's cost in the form of Bank deposit, and the source to fund the second year's cost.
Find a way to prove your intentions to return back to your country and establish your links in your country of origin by way of property, people, etc.
Plan your schedule
- August - Start inquiries about Universities, course structure, financial structure, financial aid, and other details. Short list about 4 to 5 institutions.
- Use the Free Guidance and information about the universities available at United States India Education Foundation (USIEF)
- September - December - Get letters of recommendations (at least two) from your teachers. Complete your application forms. Attach all available Marks Memo transcripts. Attach copies of GRE, TOEFL, and other exam transcripts. Ensure that the form is complete. Check the attachments. Send the complete applications to the correct address through reliable international courier having regular service to the United States. Continue to check the status of the application online periodically.
- April-June is the time you will get your I-20 or rejection letter. Select your school or university, fill the required form and send it to them. Please send a courteous regret letter to the institutions you have rejected.
Deposit the amount equal to one year's fee in the bank
Use the information in your I-20 to fill the SEVIS form.
- Fill the form correctly and completely.
Pay the SEVIS fee online (0 USD )
Take a printout of the completed form
Pay the VISA fee.A VISA fee equivalent to 0 USD has to be paid in Indian currency at the designated branches of HDFC Bank. You should carry your passport to the Bank.
Make an appointment for a VISA Interview.Make your VISA appointment through the VFS website. Select the date from among the dates available, download the form, fill the form correctly and completely and submit.
Reach the consulate well in advance.Wait patiently until you are called. Answer all questions honestly and confidently.
QuestionWould a student obtain an F1 or G1 visa?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA student would obtain an F1 visa. A G1 visa is reserved for diplomatic purposes.Thanks!
QuestionIs it possible to get a student visa if I am Indian and have an American who wants me to live with him while I go to school?Top AnswererWith a student visa, you are not required to live on campus or even in a certain region aside from being able to access your school and regularly participate in your classes. If you met all other qualifications for a student visa in the USA, living off-campus would not be detrimental to your application.Thanks!
QuestionHow can one apply to stay in the United States of America permanently?Top AnswererThere are remarkably specific conditions under which one may apply for permanent residency in the United States. You may be able to qualify through family, marriage, investment, extraordinary ability in your vocation, through the diversity lottery, or through certain other special categories. You can learn more information about obtaining permanent residency in the United States by visiting this page: https://www.uscis.gov/greencardThanks!
QuestionHow difficult would it be for an Indian student to learn English and get a visa for the USA?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerLearning English may be as easy as enrolling in and attending ESOL classes, which are often offered for free through many church missions groups. Getting a US Student Visa may require assistance from an immigration attorney with specialization and experience in helping foreign clients secure proper documents. Most lawyers charge fees, hourly rates and business expenses.Thanks!
QuestionIf I was rejected for a student visa, can I still get it if I apply again?Community AnswerYes, you can, the system is very fair. A different visa officer interviews you the second time. There is a possibility of a change in perception from person to person. However, you should analyze why you failed to obtain the visa the first time. You need to fulfill the lacunae before you got for a second interview. There are many instances of people being rejected in the first interview, but getting the student visa in the second attempt.Thanks!
QuestionI have B-1 visa; can I join short-term English courses?Community AnswerWith a B-1 visa, you can join skill enhancement and English-language programs conducted by the organizations and groups. However, you cannot join any campus residential or non-residential program conducted by a university or an academic institution. You can join distance or online programs and take help from the faculty. You can attend training programs and workshops to upgrade your skills; however, there are exceptions - you need to visit the FAQ of the US immigration website to get a specific answer in relation to your status.Thanks!
QuestionIf I have backlogs in my studies, am I eligible for a student visa?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, as a visa officer only has to confirm the school you are admitted to, that you have enough funds to pay the fees and that you will return to India after your studies.Thanks!
I want to go to college in the USA to become a neurologist. Can I live with my relatives? How much should living there cost? How much does it cost for college and medical school to become a doctor?
How can you obtain a US visa for a student with I134?
- Please plan your academics from your plus2 stage.
- Ensure your GRE score is excellent. A score of 1400+ on the GRE can help you get into good schools and receive more financial aid.
- Please ensure that you stick to the schedule and complete all the tasks in time.
- Admission in IIT or equally good ranking Institution can get you admission in top ranked or Ivy League universities or grad schools United States.
- You will not be rejected if you are eligible
- Ensure that your academics are brilliant throughout your degree studies.
- Work hard and get a good rank in the IIT JEE tests.
- Be honest and confident in your answers. Your answers should convince the VO that your purpose is not immigration and that you will return to India after completing your studies, and that you have the financial sustainability to meet the costs of your education.
- Be honest with your documents and statements.
- No training is needed for the interview.
Video: How to get an F-1 visa and come to study in the US
4 Ways to Chant
How to Cook Corn on the Cob in the Oven
Stars go chic for YSL gala
Daniella Monet Bra Size, Height and Weight
How to Be Safe when Staying Home Alone (Girls)
How to Fondant a Cake
The 10 Best Celebrity TopKnots
How to Make 2Ingredient Ice Cream
Why women don’t ask for help
A Week of Looks: AmandaShortall